To avoid busy summer schedules, opt for a fall get-together. You could visit a local apple orchard and/or spend the day celebrating the season with a hayride and a pumpkin-carving contest. Serve hot cider and warm cookies. You can decorate with pumpkins, gourds and a friendly looking scarecrow.
Younger kids will love playing in fallen leaves; they can even choose some to press between book pages for keepsakes! The crisp weather may also lead to an impromptu football game.Food Ideas:
- Try recipes with fall flavors, like apples, pumpkins and squash. Or ask your guests to each bring a favorite fall-inspired dish. Search recipes by ingredient here.
- Don't forget warm drinks. Hot cocoa or cider are perfect harvest drinks.
- Create a classic centerpiece using brown paper lunch bags (use sand for weight). Fill each bag with straw and tie yellow, orange and brown balloons to each bag.
- Cut the top off of pumpkins and leave the seeds inside to create one-day vases for sunflowers, marigolds and daisies. Keeping the seeds inside the pumpkin will hold the flower stems in place.
- Cut burlap sacks into rectangles and use instead of placemats.
Gatherings with Purpose Idea: