Theme submitted by Joanie, Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
How low can you go? Hold a Hawaiian luau complete with grass skirts and limbo sticks. Ask guests to wear their favorite Hawaiian or flowered shirt and grass skirt. Overall Ideas:
- You can buy grass skirts at any party store, or they can be made by attaching paper streamers to ribbon and tying them around your waist.
Hand out leis as party favors when your guests arrive. Or, instead of buying leis, let each guest make their own. Provide construction paper or silk flowers, straws or macaroni and string. Cut flowers out of the construction paper and poke a hole in the center of the flower. Cut the straws into one-inch strips to use as dividers. You can also use macaroni if you don’t have straws. Put the flowers and dividers on the string alternating until the string is full. Tie a knot with the ends and you have a lei that is uniquely yours.
- Create sand vases by purchasing glass or plastic bottles with cork tops and colored sand. Both are available at craft stores. Let guests create their own designs by layering the colors until the vases are filled.
- Glue silk flowers on hair clips or flip flops to add to the festivity.
Hold a dance or limbo contest and a most festive attire contest.
- Serve sliced pineapple or any fresh fruit.
- Serve grilled chicken and pineapple on skewers.
- Provide Pina Coladas or Hawaiian punch for the young guests.
- Light tiki torches or a fire pit.
- Put kiddie pools around the yard and fill with water. Float tropical flowers on the water. Or, fill the kiddie pool with sand and place seashells in the sand.
- Hang leis or paper flowers from the ceiling and doorways.
- Buy or make palm trees to place around the party space. Buy real or make paper cutouts of coconuts to accent the palm trees.
Gatherings with Purpose Idea: